If you are like most people, when the holidays roll around, you head down the canned goods aisle and buy a few cans of cranberry sauce. You open up that can and this “thing” falls out that is red and tastes remotely like cranberries. I did the same thing for years, that is until I tasted homemade cranberry sauce. My affinity for homemade cranberry sauce went to a whole different level the first time I used Manuka honey to sweeten it up.
This recipe does not take long to make and it surely is not difficult. Give it a try and don’t be surprised if this turns into your BOOM! moment of the holiday.
- 12oz bag of fresh cranberries
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 large orange
- 1/4c water
- 2/3c raw honey
To Make Homemade Cranberry Sauce with Raw Honey and Orange
- Before cutting orange, use grater for 2 teaspoons of orange zest and set aside (divide into two (1) teaspoon portions
- Cut orange in half, using strainer, juice both halves of the orange and set aside
- Over medium heat, combine honey, orange juice, water, 1t zest, and cinnamon stick
- Allow to simmer until honey is completely liquified
- Turn heat to high and add cranberries
- Allow mixture to come to a boil, then lower heat to keep the mixture at a low boil
- Continue to cook until cranberries burst, then lower heat to a simmer to allow the mixture to thicken
- When the sauce has reached the desired thickness, taste to see if sweetness is at desired level (if not, just add a little more honey)(keep in mind the longer you reduce, the stronger the cranberry flavor)
- Remove mixture from heat, remove cinnamon stick, then allow to cool at room temperature
- Once cooled, cover and refrigerate for service
- Upon serving, garnish with fresh orange zest
Normally, I recommend cooking with regular Manuka honey or Blue Borage, but for this particular recipe I love that added flavor of the UMF Manuka honey. The richer caramel-like taste really sets this recipe off. If you need to order some raw honey to make this recipe, click here. And, remember, we offer FREE shipping on all orders of $150 or more.
Photo via YouTube Video Screenshot