A Natural Alternative to Traditional Toothpaste
A lot of people love the foamy factor or toothpaste, but aren’t so keen on the chemicals that different toothpaste manufacturers use to achieve that effect. Luckily, these consumers have access to a number of different natural toothpastes on the market today and there are also a number of homemade toothpaste recipes so they can create their own. Here is a recipe for homemade toothpaste that features Manuka honey, a specific type of honey that is said to have antibacterial properties.
The honey being used in this homemade toothpaste recipe has been compared to chlorahexadine mouthwash and the xyitol chewing gum. The study completed by researchers suggested that Manuka honey worked just as well as chlorahexadine mouthwash and better than xylitol at reducing plaque found on teeth. Another scientific study suggested that a Manuka honey mouthwash had an antibacterial reaction when tested with oral microorganisms.
Ingredients for Homemade Toothpaste
- 1 tbsp. castile soap
- 1 to 3 tbsp. Manuka honey
- 6 tbsp. olive oil
- 20 to 40 drops essential oil of your choice
- Sweet orange
Directions for Homemade Toothpaste
- In a large bowl, combine castile soap and olive oil until well combined.
- Add 1 tbsp. of Manuka honey and 20 drops of the essential oil of your choice – you can add more honey (up to 3 tbsp. in total) and essential oil (40 drops in total) until you achieve the desired taste. Continue to mix until all ingredients are combined.
- Pour the Manuka honey and oil mixture into a vial with a dropper top or into a soap dispenser for ease of use. Make sure to label the container appropriately.
- Depending on how much Manuka honey has been used, it is possible for it to settle in the bottom of the container. Make sure to stir the mixture well before use.
After using this toothpaste, make sure to rinse your mouth out well with warm water. Since the homemade toothpaste includes castile soap, the aftertaste of the toothpaste reminds users a lot of soap, which does not taste good! Overall, this homemade toothpaste should work just as well as regular store bought toothpaste and features all natural ingredients without the many unknown chemicals those toothpastes often have. So grab your Manuka honey and whip up some toothpaste! If you need to order some Manuka honey to make your own toothpaste, click here.