If you’re the type who likes to cook for their significant other on Valentine’s Day, this decadent meal offers a savory taste that’s almost as sweet as dessert thanks to the ever-reliable Manuka honey. This homemade pasta with lemon, herbs, and Manuka honey may sound like too much of a challenge, but making your own pasta from scratch is a joy to do as much as it is to taste the pasta afterward. This recipe requires little equipment beyond a food processor and a large boiling pot, so it’s easy for anyone willing to try something new. So, treat yourself and your Valentine well this year with this delicious recipe.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
For the sauce:
- Juice and zest of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons Manuka honey
- 1/2 cup mixed torn fresh herbs (basil, chives parsley, tarragon, chervil, etc.)
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Parmesan cheese, to serve
Directions for the Homemade Pasta with Lemon, Herbs, and Manuka Honey
- Combine the flour, salt, eggs, olive oil, and water in a food processor. Process until the dough forms a ball. Continue processing for another minute to knead the dough.
- Transfer the ball of dough to a clean countertop.
- Cover dough with an overturned bowl or plastic wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Once the dough has rested, cut it in half. Using a rolling pin, roll each half one at a time out on a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough as thin as possible into an elongated shape.
- Using a pizza wheel or a paring knife, cut the dough into long strips or irregular squares. Sprinkle the cut pasta with some flour or cornmeal to keep it from sticking.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Drop the pasta in and cook until al dente, 3-5 minutes.
- When the pasta has cooked, drain it and return it to the pot.
- Add the lemon zest and juice, butter, and Manuka honey. Toss until the butter is melted.
- Add the herbs, and then toss again. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with grated Parmesan.
- The recipe serves four, so be prepared for leftovers. Enjoy!
Nutrition information per serving: 430 calories; 140 calories from fat (33 percent of total calories); 16g fat (6g saturated; 0g trans fats); 110mg cholesterol; 60g carbohydrate; 2g fiber; 10g sugar; 11g protein; 220mg sodium.
Copyright: riccardo67 / 123RF Stock Photo