With this recipe, we were trying to find a nice morning treat that incorporated some fresh ingredients offering health benefits. Now, when you are in a pinch for breakfast, you have an excuse to eat a muffin! Before your significant other gives you the business about your menu choice, we are going to arm you with the health benefits of both lemons and poppy seeds.
Benefits of Lemons
The lemon has long been used for its health benefits and for good reason. Rattle off this list and you may even get one to take on the road with you!
• Helps to control blood pressure
• Helps with both indigestion and constipation
• Cold and fever relief
• Helps with respiratory issues
• Natural diet aid
Benefits of Poppy Seeds
While lemons have plenty of holistic benefits, poppy seeds are just packed with nutrients your body craves. Some of these are:
Ingredients for Honey-Lemon Muffins with Poppy Seeds
• ½ c Manuka honey
• ½ c plain Greek yogurt
• ½ c sugar
• Zest of one lemon
• 1 lemon (juiced)
• ¼ c poppy seeds
• ¼ t of baking soda
• 1 ½ t of baking powder
• 1 ½ c whole wheat flour
• ½ t of sea salt (fine-grain)
• 5 T unsalted butter (melted/cooled)
• 1 t vanilla extract
• 1 egg
Directions to Make Honey-Lemon Muffins with Poppy Seeds
• Preheat oven to 375 degrees
• While oven is heating, in a large bowl, combine lemon zest and sugar (can muddle or use fingers)
• When combined, add baking soda, baking powder, flour, poppy seeds, and salt. Whisk until combined.
• In a separate bowl, combine butter, egg, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and yogurt. Whisk until fully combined.
• Combine both bowls and mix until flour is fully incorporated into the liquid
• Use non-stick spray or butter to grease muffin pan
• Fill sections to about ¾ of the way full
• Bake in oven for about 17 minutes (check after 15 minutes to see if muffins are golden on top and if toothpick comes out clean when placed in center of muffin).
• When muffins are done, remove from oven and allow to cool for five minutes
• Remove muffins from baking pan and allow to finish cooling on baking rack