Desserts are something that many of us enjoy, but sometimes chocolate cake and ice cream can become boring. Something that is out of the ordinary that some people love to indulge in is peanut butter pie. This honey recipe from BonAppetite.com gives us the classic peanut butter pie we crave while adding a special little twist – honeycomb!
Ingredients for Honeycomb Peanut Butter Pie
– 9 graham crackers (crushed)
– ¼ cup light brown sugar (firmly packed)
– 6 tbsp. butter (melted)
– ¼ tsp. salt
– 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
– 8 egg yolks
– 1 ½ cup whole milk
– 1 cup peanut butter
– ¾ cup unsalted butter
– 1 vanilla bean (split lengthwise)
– 12 tbsp. sugar (divided)
– 2 tbsp. powdered sugar
– ½ tsp. salt
– 2 oz. bittersweet chocolate (chopped)
– ¼ cup roasted peanuts
– 2 ½ tbsp. unsalted butter
Directions for Honeycomb Peanut Butter Pie
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In the food processor, combine graham crackers, salt, sugar and nutmeg for the crust until finely grated.
3. Move crumb mixture to a medium bowl. Add butter and stir until well blended.
4. Move the crumb mixture to a pie dish. Using a measuring cup or spoon, press the crumb mixture into the bottom and sides of the pie dish.
5. Place the pie dish in the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
6. In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, combine egg yolks and 6 tablespoons of sugar. Continue to mix at high speed until ribbons form, making sure to scrap mixture off the sides.
7. In a large saucepan, combine milk and remaining sugar for the filling. Scrape the seeds of the split vanilla bean into the milk mixture and toss in the bean itself.
8. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring often to dissolve the sugar. Once dissolved, remove the vanilla bean.
9. With the stand mixer still running, add the milk mixture to the yolk mixture slowly making sure to scrape the sides.
10. Once well combined, transfer the milk and egg mixture back to the saucepan and bring to a boil while whisking constantly. Remove pan from heat and continue to whisk vigorously for approximately 1 minute.
11. Transfer the custard mixture to a clean mixing bowl. With the whisk attachment on the stand mixture, beat on high while the mixture cools, for about 4 minutes.
12. Add butter to the mixing bowl one tablespoon at a time. Add peanut butter, salt and powdered sugar and beat until well blended.
13. Scrape the filling into the cooked pie crust and smooth the top of the filling. Chill to set the pie for about 2 to 3 hours.
14. In a medium bowl, stir together butter and chocolate for the topping.
15. Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water and stir until the mixture is melted and smooth.
16. Drizzle chocolate glaze of the pie. Sprinkle pieces of honeycomb and peanuts over the top and drizzle remaining chocolate mixture.
17. Serve and enjoy!