How to Make Your Very Own Infused Honey
Honey is an amazing super food reportedly offering numerous benefits. In addition to making many of our favorite foods taste great, honey is also a great alternative to generic sweeteners such as sugar and can help individuals make better dieting choice by using a more natural sweetening agent. While the taste of “original” honey is great, honey also has the ability to be transformed into even more delicious concoctions by infusing the sticky substance with different flavors – here’s how!
Different Ingredients to Infuse with Honey
In reality, the herbs and spices that can be infused with honey are as limitless as your imagination, but there are some ingredients that lend themselves well with the sweetness that honey provides. Some of the more popular ingredients to use when infusing honey include:
- Vanilla Beans
- Cinnamon Sticks
In addition to the ingredients that will be added to the honey, the type of honey that is being used will add its own unique flavor. Some popular types of honey that are used for infusion include orange blossom honey as well as wildflower honey – each will add a unique flavor element to the final result!
How to Infuse Honey – Step by Step
In order to infuse honey with different ingredients, there are some supplies you will need to complete the process. These supplies include:
- Herbs and Spices
- Glass Jars with Screw Top
Once you have gathered everything you need, and want, to include in your infused honey the process of creating it is very simple:
- Add the ingredients to the glass jar –the more ingredients that are used the stronger the honey’s flavor will be. If you desire a milder flavor, consider using a smaller amount.
- Taking the honey of your choosing, pour the honey directly over top of the ingredients in the jar and continue to fill until the jar is about halfway full.
- Stir all the ingredients in the jar and honey together to help begin to incorporate them.
- Continue to fill the jar with honey until it is full and screw the lid into place.
- Store the jar(s) of honey in a cool dry place for a minimum of five days to allow all of the ingredients to infuse together.
- Unscrew the lid and enjoy!
Infused honey can be used on a number of different foods including toast, biscuits, in tea and even over ice cream or frozen yogurt! The possibilities are only limited by your taste buds and imagination!