If you love the consistency of English muffins, you will definitely love this English muffin bread! Made just like the best homemade breads out there, it doesn’t matter if you have been baking for years or are just getting your feet wet—this bread is one for the books and easy to make. All you need are the right ingredients, a free Saturday afternoon, and some jam and butter for when your loaves come out of the oven. If you think this recipe is one you have to try, then let’s get started!
Ingredients for English Muffin Bread
- 2 tablespoons of active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup of warm water (between 95 and 110 degrees F)
- 1 tablespoon of Manuka honey
- 5 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour, unbleached
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 2 1/4 cups of warm milk (between 95 and 100 degrees F)
- 2 tablespoons of butter, melted
- Semolina flour or cornmeal, for dusting
Direction for English Muffin Bread
- To get started, grease a pair of standard bread loaf pans, dusting with cornmeal and then setting to the side.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the warm water and the Manuka honey before adding the yeast and setting to the side to allow the yeast to activate.
- In a different bowl, sift your flour, baking powder, and salt, and then set to the side.
- Using an electric mixer bowl fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the warm milk, the yeast mixture, and 1 cup of the flour mixture.
- Add the rest of the flour mixture, mixing until a very sticky, soft dough has formed.
- Between your two loaf pans, start spooning in the dough. Using a towel, cover the loaf pans and allow them to rise in a warm spot for about 45 minutes or until the doughs double in size and reach the top of your loaf pans or rise slightly above the rims. Note: When dividing dough between the loaf pans, try spreading it into the pans while your fingertips are buttered, as the dough will be very sticky.
- Before your doughs have completely risen, preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Brush the top of your loaves lightly with melted butter before dusting with cornmeal, and bake them in your oven between 20 and 25 minutes.
- Remove your loaves from their pans and allow them to cool before you slice into them.
Enjoy your English Muffin Bread!