Now that the fall is officially here and many of us spend the weekends plopped on the couch watching football, slow cooker meals are a great way to make sure you never go hungry over the weekend.
Personally, I love my slow cooker, as I prepare a meal on Friday night, then let it slow cook overnight into Saturday. Even after the food is done, it can stay in the crockpot on a low simmer for the rest of the weekend or you can remove it and heat it up as needed. Either way, this recipe will have you set for the entire weekend.
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken:
- 2 pounds chicken breast, skinned, cut into chunks
- 2T olive or coconut oil
- 3 minces garlic gloves
- 3/4t dried basil
- 1/3c soy sauce
- 1/3c ketchup
- 1/4c raw honey
- 1/8t red pepper flakes
- 1/2c bourbon (optional if you want to give the dish a bit more of a punch)
- In a large saute pan, heat oil, then add chicken cubes to sear off before placing in slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine basil, garlic, soy sauce, ketchup, raw honey, and bourbon (if used).
- Add seared chicken to crockpot, then pour sauce over top and combine all ingredients.
- Put slow cooker on low setting, cover, and allow to cook.
I like to let the dish simmer overnight, but it will be ready to go in about four or five hours. If you are going to let it simmer overnight, you can add some chicken stock to the crockpot to ensure it will not reduce down too much overnight.
The dish can be served over rice or is delicious enough all on its own.