Manuka Honey Grasshopper Pie
Not sure how you’re going to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day this year? Even with the extra day to think about it? Well, the luck of the Irish is upon you because we have an idea for your St Patty’s Day needs. Rather than just heading to the bar (or counting the days until you’re 21), try out this recipe for Grasshopper Pie! This Manuka honey-sweetened pie has a blend of ingredients that will make your head spin and remind you why you loved this Irish holiday in the first place. From the ice cream, the Oreos, the chocolate, the honey and the mint, this pie is easy to make with only the crust requiring the use of an oven–some blending and room in your freezer just about does the trick for the rest!
Take the chance to rediscover St Patrick through your sense of taste, which might in fact need a moment to recover after a sensory overload of delicious flavors.
Ingredients for Grasshopper Pie
24 whole Oreo cookies
¼ cup melted unsalted butter
¼ cup Manuka honey
2 cups vanilla ice cream
8 oz fat free non-dairy whipped topping
2 oz semisweet chocolate
4 drops green food coloring
¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
Directions for Grasshopper Pie
For Oreo cookie crust:
- In a medium-sized bowl or food processor, add the Oreo cookies and blend until a texture of coarse meal or crumbs develops. Add the melted butter and blend until well combined.
- Place the crumb mixture into a 9-inch deep dish pie pan and press to the bottom and up the sides evenly. Try to make the crust about ⅛ inch evenly all around.
- Refrigerate the crust for at least 1 hour before adding the filling of your choice (this will help prevent crumbling when serving).
For the pie:
- Let ice cream soften in the refrigerator for 20 minutes. Chill a 2 quart mixing bowl at the same time.
- When ice cream is softened, mix it with the whipped topping and Manuka honey until blended. (Remember, don’t let the ice cream melt to a liquid or the flavor will be affected.)
- Pour onto Oreo crust and freeze for at least six hours or overnight.
- Before serving, let the pie stand at room temperature for about 10 minutes.
- Final pie serves 8 people. Now, enjoy your honey mint grasshopper pie!