One of the delights of summer is that we have more justification for eating that frozen delight called ice cream. While there is nothing wrong with store-bought ice cream, making it yourself always seems to add a bit more satisfaction to every spoonful. This particular ice cream recipe can be made even better with the addition of glazed walnuts, which adds a little more honey to the recipe!
Blue Borage Honey Ice Cream Ingredients:
- 1c milk
- 2/3c blue borage honey
- 1 1/4c heavy cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 pinch salt
Honey Glazed Walnuts Ingredients:
- 5oz shelled walnuts, halved
- 2T sugar
- 2T raw honey
To Make Ice Cream:
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine milk and honey.
- Turn setting to medium heat and keep over heat until the honey begins to melt, stirring fairly often.
- Do not allow the mixture to boil or the milk will curdle and you will have to start over again.
- Once the honey has started to melt, remove from heat and honey will continue to dissolve in the mixture.
- In a separate bowl, add egg yolks and salt, then whisk until eggs yolks are fully beaten.
- Add egg yolk mixture to the honey/milk pot by gradually folding/whisking in the egg mixture.
- Turn the burner back on to low setting and replace pot over heat.
- As the mixture is warming up, continue to stir until it thickens (should be able to stick on the back of a spoon).
- Again, be sure to stir constantly so the milk does not curdle.
- Strain the mixture into a large bowl, then add the heavy cream.
- Allow the mixture to cool down to room temperature, then cover, and allow to sit in fridge until chilled.
- When the mixture is chilled, blend in ice cream maker per the manufacturer’s instructions.
To Make Honey Glazed Walnuts:
- Heat up medium sized skillet.
- Add walnuts and toast (stir them around pan continuously to ensure they do not burn).
- Add sugar and allow to melt, then lower heat setting to low.
- Add honey and continue to stir so walnuts are completely covered in mixture.
- Save any remaining “syrup” to drizzle over ice cream.
Once the ice cream is finished and your walnuts are done, place walnuts on top and on side of ice cream, drizzle with sauce, then grab a spoon and enjoy your treat!
If you need to order some Blue Borage honey to make this recipe, please click here. And, remember, we offer FREE shipping on all orders of $150 or more!
Photo By Merinka