A Delicious Side Dish for Your Next Barbeque Using Honey
Cookout season is almost here which means, before we know it, our backyard will be filled with hungry friends and family members. Baked beans are a cookout staple and everyone has their favorite recipe. A great summertime bean recipe is one created by none other than famous grill chef Bobby Flay – his honey and rum spiked bean recipe is one that you and your guests are sure to love!
Ingredients for Honey-Rum Baked Black Beans:
– 1 lb. dried black beans (soaked for 8 hours)
– 8 oz. dried chorizo (diced)
– 1 medium carrot (diced)
– 1 medium onion (diced)
– 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
– 2 cups chicken stock
– 1 cup dark rum
– 1 cup barbeque sauce
– ¼ cup Manuka honey
– ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp. fresh cilantro (chopped)
– 3 tbsp. light brown sugar
– 3 tbsp. molasses
– 1 tbsp. canola oil
– ½ tsp. kosher salt
– ½ tsp. black pepper
Directions for Honey-Rum Baked Black Beans:
1. Add drained beans to a large saucepan. Add water until the beans are covered by at least 2 inches. Bring beans to a boil. Reduced heat to medium and partially cover saucepan, simmering until beans are very tender, between 45 and 90 minutes.
2. Once cooked, remove beans from the stove, drain and transfer to a large bowl.
3. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
4. In a large sauté pan, heat canola oil over high heat. Add diced chorizo and cook until golden brown for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring as needed. Remove chorizo from pan and place on a paper towel lined plate.
5. Reduce sauté pan heat to medium. Add carrot and onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes stirring as needed. Add chopped garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute. Add rum, bring pan to a simmer and cook until the mixture is reduced by half. Add black beans to the mixture and stir.
6. Add chicken stock, barbeque sauce, honey, cilantro, brown sugar, molasses and chorizo to the mixture and stir until well combined. Season mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Transfer bean and chorizo mixture to an over safe baking dish and cover with aluminum foil. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
8. After 30 minutes, check if the bean mixture is dry. If so, add more chicken stock. Bake for an additional 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove the aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes.
9. Remove bean mixture from the oven and allow to rest. Garnish with remaining cilantro and enjoy!
Need to order some honey so you can make these great tasting baked beans? To get your order started, click here.