Have you ever heard of the Oprah effect? It is what happens to something the moment Oprah approves of it. For years, any product or book mentioned on the Oprah Show in a positive light just flew off the shelves. If she mentioned a small business, it would have record sales. Well, Dr. Oz was featured on this show for many years and now with his own show, there is the Dr. Oz effect.
Dr. Oz has featured honey at least twice, once in a blog entry in 2013 and more recently on his show in June 2014. He has touted the numerous benefits of honey and suggests it as being a much safer sweetener than sugar. Hmmmm, where have you heard that before? Some of the benefits of honey, per Dr. Oz, are:
• Suppresses Coughs – according to his blog, honey is often a better alternative than the cough syrups you can buy over the counter at your local drugstore. Honey has a thick consistency, much like these syrups, but also triggers nerves that help lessen the “cough impulse.”
• Burn Relief – one of the benefits we often see about honey is its use as an anti-inflammatory. It is also touted for its antibacterial properties. When suffering from a small burn, apply the honey directly to the area and allow its natural properties to soothe the wound as well as preventing infection.
• Sleep Aid – Dr. Oz offers two ways honey can help you sleep better. First, if you usually suffer from a cough at night, the honey (as stated above) can help soothe the throat and prevent those nasty evening coughing attacks. Secondly, it can trigger tryptophan, which makes people naturally sleepy.
• Natural Wound Healer – there is actually an enzyme in honey that is activated by oxygen. This enzyme then creates hydrogen peroxide. Yes, the same stuff you pour on your cut that creates white bubbles and cleans the wound. And, as mentioned above, its natural antibacterial properties help prevent infection. Keep in mind, this is not something you would put on a big, gaping wound. But for those cuts and scrapes at the playground, it just might do the trick!
• Boosting Immunity – the natural antiviral and antibacterial properties in raw honey can help boost your immune system and help you fight off that season cold. Dr. Oz even has his own version of the Hot Toddy that he calls the Hot Ozzy! To make this elixir:
1 T raw honey
2 t lemon juice
4 oz hot water
Combine and enjoy!
If you are interested in trying our Manuka honey products, click here.