Chefs and food fanatics often experiment with how different flavors go together, like salty and sweet or sugars and spices. Since honey is such a sweet ingredient to use, we often do not consider pairing it with flavors that are more savory or spices. One interesting and delicious combination is honey and balsamic vinegar – here is a great recipe for honey chicken featuring the savory taste of balsamic your family and friends are guaranteed to enjoy!
Ingredients for Honey Chicken with Balsamic:
- 1 Cup Honey (Blue Borage would be perfect!)
- 2 Cups Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic (chopped)
- 2 Tsp. Black Pepper
- 2 Tsp. Salt
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 Tbsp. Water
- (4) Chicken Breasts (6 to 8 oz. each)
- 1 Cup Flour
- 6 oz. Frying Oil
- 8 Basil Leaves
- Tomato (sliced into 4 large slices)
- Fresh Mozzarella (sliced into 4 slices)
Directions for Honey Chicken with Balsamic:
- Clean and prepare the oven for cooking. Preheat the oven temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Heat a heavy-bottoms sauce pan over low heat. Add honey, balsamic vinegar, chopped garlic, 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. pepper. Stir until ingredients are well combined and continue to heat until the mixture is reduced by one-quarter. This should take about 7 minutes. Set the mixture aside.
- Add eggs to a medium bowl and lightly beat. Add water to create an egg wash.
- In another medium bowl, add flour and remaining salt and pepper. Stir until the ingredients are well combined.
- In an oven-friendly, large frying pan, heat the frying oil over medium heat gradually increasing the temperature until the oil is hot, which should take about four minutes.
- While the oil is heating, clean and prepare the chicken for cooking.
- Soak the chicken breasts in the egg wash until they are well coated then dredge the chicken in the flour mixture.
- Add the coated chicken breasts to the heated frying oil and cook until both sides of each chicken breast are golden brown. This will take about 7 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the frying pain and drain the remaining oil. Place the fried chicken back in the frying pan and pour the honey mixture that was made earlier over the chicken.
- Add one large basil leaf to each chicken breast, followed by a slice of mozzarella and a slice of tomato.
- Place the frying pan into the preheated oven for about three minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Remove from the oven, serve and enjoy!