While your local coffee shop or bakery might be a reliable place to get your favorite kind of cupcake, it never hurts to try your own hand at a cupcake recipe that might be as good or possibly even better, and these banana, nut, and Manuka honey cupcakes aren’t a bad place to start.
Not only do these cupcakes not include sugar (though the icing is a different story), but they also use whole wheat flour, Manuka honey, and have plenty of satisfying flavor when a craving comes calling. So, if you think you’re up for trying your hand at it, let’s get started on those cupcakes…
Ingredients for Banana, Nut, and Manuka Honey Cupcakes
- Cupcakes: 2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 4 large bananas (preferably ripe)
- 1/4 cup of Manuka honey
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup of smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 cup of milk
- Icing: 1/4 cup of peanut butter
- 1 cup of cream cheese
- 1-2 tablespoons of cream
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
Directions for Banana, Nut, and Manuka Honey Cupcakes
- To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit on the Bake setting. Spray a muffin tray with cooking spray or line with paper cups.
- Peel the bananas, and then start mashing them with a fork until a smooth texture forms.
- Place the mashed bananas into a mixer before adding the Manuka honey, the brown sugar, the melted coconut oil, the vanilla, and the egg. Mix the ingredients together well. Add the smooth peanut butter to the bunch, beating until well incorporated.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix together the flour, the baking powder, the baking soda, the ground cinnamon, and the salt. Add this dry mixture to the wet mixture along with the milk and the walnuts, mixing thoroughly.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tray, and then bake for roughly 20 minutes or till a toothpick or fork comes up clean.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, start making the icing. Add the peanut butter, the cream cheese, the powdered sugar, the cream, and the vanilla to an available mixing bowl. Once the cupcakes are ready, frost them with your peanut butter icing.
- Serve the cupcakes immediately or at your discretion afterward. These cupcakes should store well for at least a week in your fridge.