Vanilla-Honey Cough Drop Recipe
Honey has the amazing ability to sooth our throats while also opening up our nasal passageways. Putting honey in tea is often an effective remedy during cold and flu season, helping to calm our coughs and help our throats heal. Sometimes, however, we can’t take our tea with honey on the go and we turn to cough drops to help suppress the symptoms. Over the counter cough drops often have preservatives and other substances that we do not want in our bodies when we are trying to feel better and heal and often they do not work as well as we would like. Thankfully, the incredible healing powers of honey can be harnessed into natural, delicious cough drops that are easy to make right in your own kitchen!
Ingredients for Vanilla-Honey Cough Drops
– ½ cup organic honey
– 2 tsp. cloves
– 1 tsp butter
– 1 tsp. vanilla extract
– Candy thermometer
– Silicone candy molds
– Wax paper
Directions for Vanilla-Honey Cough Drops
1. In a medium sauce pan, heat the butter over low heat until it is melted. Make sure to stir consistently to prevent the butter from burning.
2. Add honey to the saucepan and continue to stir until the honey and butter are melted together and well combined.
3. Slowly increase heat from low to medium and continue to stir.
4. Add cloves and vanilla extract, mix until well combined and continuing to stir to prevent burning.
5. Using a candy thermometer, test the temperature of the mixture and continue to heat the mixture until it reaches a temperature of 300 degrees.
6. Once a 300 degree temperature is reached, immediately remove mixture from the heat and carefully pour it into silicone candy molds.
7. Allow the cough drop mixture to cool at room temperature until they have hardened and are cold to the touch.
8. Remove the cough drops from the candy molds and wrap in individual squares of wax paper. Store at room temperature until needed.
Need to order some Manuka honey so you can make your own cough drops? Or, you can just order our great tasting honey cough drops! For more information, click here.