One of my favorite candies during the summer months is saltwater taffy. It is a shore staple and while far from healthy, you just can’t help yourself from enjoying it over the summer when you are at the shore. Well, summer may be over, but you can still enjoy taffy with this every easy recipe featuring our favorite, raw honey! We should note, however, in order to make this recipe, you will need a candy thermometer.
Ingredients for Homemade Honey Taffy
- Cooking spray
- 5 cups of raw honey (regular Manuka honey is perfect for this recipe)
- Use parchment paper to line a baking sheet
- Lightly spray parchment paper with the cooking spray
- In a medium saucepan, heat honey over medium-low heat until it comes to a boil (about eight minutes)
- Once the honey comes to a boil, allow to continue to cook until candy thermometer hits 280 degrees Fahrenheit (this should take about 10 minutes)
- Once the honey hits the proper temperature, remove from heat, and quickly pour honey over the parchment paper.
- Spread honey evenly over sheet
- Allow honey to cool for 20 minutes
- Put a light coating off the cooking spray on your hands (you can wear sanitary gloves, just make sure they are coated with the cooking spray) and fold the honey over continuously to form a ball
- Stretch the honey out, then double-strand the honey back onto itself two times
- Continue this process until you start to see the honey change to a lighter color (should take about five minutes)
- Once the honey is the lighter color, take out a sheet of plastic wrap, spray it with the cooking spray, they wrap up the honey and chill for about 10 minutes
- Once the honey is chilled, spray a knife with the cooking spray, remove the taffy from the plastic wrap and cut the taffy into four equal-sized pieces.
- Roll out each piece of taffy until it is about 12 inches long, then cut each of those pieces into six equal-sized pieces
- Roll each of those pieces into a small log, then wrap in wax paper
Now you have some of the best homemade taffy you will ever taste!