Everyone loves pancakes, right? Problem is they are often packed with calories and leave you weighed down for the entire day if you do indulge. Well, this recipe will remind you of the pancake stacks you see at IHOP but won’t have nearly the calories or heaviness and have the added benefit of some healthy fruit and our favorite… Manuka honey!
- ¼ c Manuka honey
- 1 c + 1 T softened unsalted butter
- 1 ½ t salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 c flour (used almond or coconut flour)
- ½ t baking soda
- 1 c whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1 c almond milk
- 6 T melted unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ c fresh blueberries
- ¾ c fresh blackberries
- Combine one cup of the softened butter with honey and ½ t of salt with electric mixer (medium speed) until well blended. Put to the side when completed. (This is your honey butter).
- In a medium saucepan, combine blackberries, blueberries, ½ c water and cinnamon stick. Place over medium heat and cover, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens (will take about 20 minutes). Remove cinnamon, keep covered and remove from heat until read to serve. (If the raw flavor is not sweet enough, you can add some sugar or honey to sweeten it up.)
- Using a whisk, combine flour, baking soda, and 1t salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together ricotta, milk, melted butter, and eggs.
- Combine both bowls and whisk until they are well blended.
- Preheat a nonstick skillet or flattop grill.
- Add the remaining softened butter and allow to melt.
- Once butter is melted, use 1/3 c measuring cup for each pancake.
- Cook until you see the outsides drying and bubbles appear on surface, then turn.
- Cook on flip side for about one minute.
- Repeat 9 and 10 until all batter has been used.
When pancakes are done cooking, serve with honey butter and top with the fruit compote. You can garnish with some extra blueberries if you want to take that “plate selfie” for your friends on Instagram. This dish will have them all wishing they were coming over for breakfast!
Copyright: stephaniefrey / 123RF Stock Photo