Century Old Woman Starts Every Morning with a Honey Bun
Doctors and our parents have always told us the key to living a long life and being healthy is eating right, including having enough fruits and vegetables in our diet. But a woman from Texoma, OK, doesn’t follow this advice exactly and recently celebrated her 100th birthday. Jane Rogers starts every day with having a honey bun and Dr. Pepper soda for breakfast – something that we would never imagine would be the key to living a long and healthy life.
High sugar treats have been fueling Rogers for years, but she still practices moderation – her family explains that even though she begins her day in this unorthodox way, she still enjoys a balanced diet during the lunch and dinner hours. Rogers has been living in Texoma for the last 40 years and raised her three sons in a family owned ranch in the area. For those who want to try Rogers’s secret – remember, only in moderation! – here is a great recipe for honey bun cake you can try at home!
Ingredients for Homemade Honey Bun Cake
- 1 package yellow cake mix (18.25 oz.)
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp. milk
- 1 tbsp. Blue Borage honey
Directions for Homemade Honey Bun Cake
- Clean and prepare the oven for cooking. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine yellow cake mix, vegetable oil, eggs and sour cream in a large bowl. Stir by hand for approximately 50 strokes or until all of the large, dry lumps are gone.
- In a 9 by 13 inch baking pan, pour half of the cake mixture. Set the remaining batter aside.
- In a small bowl, add brown sugar and cinnamon until well combined.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture on top of the cake batter in the baking pan.
- Carefully spoon the remaining cake batter into the baking pan and sprinkle on the remaining brown sugar mixture.
- Using an icing knife or butter knife, swirl the top of the of the cake batter to imitate the look of a honey bun.
- Place the baking pan in the oven and bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the cake clean.
- In a small bowl, add powdered sugar, milk and honey. Mix until well combined – this will be the icing for the cake.
- Remove the cake from the oven. Serve warm and add icing immediately for the honey bun effect.