Manuka Honey Carrot Layer Cake
For those looking for a naturally sweet dessert that offers the best flavors but without the intense amount of sugar that comes with them, this Carrot Manuka Honey Layer Cake is the way to go! Substituting added sugar with natural sugars found in carrots and Manuka honey, this recipe offers something for everyone’s sweet tooth in a recipe simple enough for any skill level or kitchen supply. The pairing of these various ingredients and spices produces a cake that is made even better with an equally naturally sugared cream cheese frosting, which bears a tang that complements rather than contrasts the cake itself.
You should have a stand mixer nearby for the frosting, and try to avoid low fat cream cheese since this often yields a soupy consistency in the frosting. Well, without further ado, let’s get started!
Ingredients for Manuka Honey Carrot Layer Cake
- 1 ¾ cups (8 ¾ ounces) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup plus ¼ cup Manuka honey
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 and 2/3 cups shredded carrots (4 carrots)
Honey Cream Cheese Frosting (3 cups)
- 12 ounces’ cream cheese, softened
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons Manuka honey
Directions for Manuka Honey Carrot Layer Cake
- Adjust oven rack to mid position and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9-inch cake pans, line with parchment paper, grease parchment, and flour the pans.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt together in one bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk Manuka honey, oil, eggs, and vanilla together until smooth. Stir in shredded carrots. Add flour mixture and fold with a rubber spatula until combined.
- Divide batter evenly among pans, smoothing the tops. Bake until cakes are set and their centers are firm to touch, about 16 to 20 minutes.
- Rotate pans halfway through baking. Let cakes cool 10 minutes, then remove from pans. Discard parchment and allow cakes to cool completely on a rack for one hour.
- Spread one cup of frosting over first cake layer and add second cake layer, pressing evenly to adhere. Spread one cup frosting over top and remaining frosting over the sides.
- Honey Cream Cheese Frosting: Using stand mixer with whisk attachment, whip cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and salt on medium-high speed until smooth, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Reduce mixer speed to medium-low and whip frosting until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- When your cake is ready, serve at your discretion and enjoy!
Copyright: elfrock / 123RF Stock Photo